University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst named top college town in North America:
UMass Amherst students have known it for years: Amherst is the top college town in North America, offering the perfect blend of New England natural beauty and cosmopolitan culture and energy.
In a story featured on MSN.com, Katherine L. Cohen, founder and CEO of two college counseling firms, ranks Amherst number one, ahead of Berkeley, Calif., Montreal, Washington, D.C., and Boston. “These are towns where college students love to live and learn,” writes Cohen.
UMass Amherst, the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts system, sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, 90 miles from Boston and 175 miles from New York City. The campus provides a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers; Located in western Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is a national research university recognized for superb faculty, outstanding teaching and top-notch students who come from across the state and around the world.
Tuition and Fees
- Effective Term: Fall 2009
- Tuition: 9,937
- Room and Board: 8,276
- Estimated Additional Expenses: 6,000
- Average Financial Aid Awarded to International Students: 10,000
- Fees: 15,200
- Total Undergraduates: 20,873
- First Years: 6,014
- Graduate Enrollment: 6,143
- Fall Application Deadline: January 15 (undergraduate) March 1 (transfer) February 1 (graduate)
- Spring Application Deadline: October 1 (graduate)
- Application Fee: 40
- Application Website: http://umass.edu/umhome/admissions.ht...
- Tests Required for International Students: Undergraduate: TOEFL, SAT-I or ACT , Graduate: TOEFL, GRE, GMAT (Applicants to Management; Hotel, Restaurant and Travel Administration; and Sport Studies)
- Setting: Rural
- City Size: Small
- Type of School: University
- Public/Private: Public
- Gender: Co-ed
- Religious Affiliation: Not applicable
- Calendar: Semester
- Services for International Students: On-campus Summer Housing, English as a Second Language Program, Intensive English, International Student Advisor , Special International Student Orientation Program
- Programs Offered: Bachelor's Degree, Graduate or higher
- 37 Mather Drive (undergraduate)
- 530 Goodell Building (graduate)
- Amherst, Massachusetts 01003